Health Legal Services (HLS)
Through our Health Legal Services program, we offer legal counseling and representation to low-income people living with HIV or AIDS. Specifically, we address issues related to public and private benefits and insurance, housing and consumer matters, simple estate planning, employment discrimination and more.
We provide: Free legal advice and representation for individuals living with HIV or AIDS; educational workshops and technical assistance for community groups, medical service providers, public officials, attorneys, and staff at community-based organizations; and policy advocacy.
HLS Phone Intake Line: (408) 280-2430
HLS Fax: (408) 886-3850
Among the issues we address are:
- Access to and preservation of federal and state disability income and insurance programs, including: Social Security benefits, Unemployment and State Disability Insurance, Medi-Cal, Medicare, CalFRESH, CalWORKS, CAPI and General Assistance.
- Landlord-tenant disputes, evictions, habitability problems, housing subsidy preservation, and discrimination in housing.
- Differential treatment against individuals based on their HIV or AIDS status or other protected classes, and reasonable accommodations.
- Claims for unpaid wages, and discrimination in employment.
- Estate planning services including simple wills, advanced health care directives (living wills), financial powers of attorney, and guardianships.
- Creditor harassment and other debtors’ rights issues.
EXPRESSED INTEREST PHILOSOPHY
HLS advocates and attorneys operate consistently with our expressed interest philosophy, empowering our clients to make their own decisions about the course of their legal representation.
For our clients
Any low-income (500% of federal poverty guidelines or below) resident of Santa Clara County living with HIV or AIDS may be eligible for HLS services